[opennms-discuss] default data collection in Horizon 19.0.1
tliu
2017-06-01 11:49:57 UTC

I installed net-snmp agent (5.7.3) on my openBSD device, and provisioned
it to openNMS Horizon 19.0.1 for a test. There is not any private mibs
installed on the device.

After capturing all the SNMP traffic on the device, I found there are
many OIDs (almost 390 ) requested by openNMS. If we look at the default data
collection configuration file--datacollection-config.xml, we can find some
well-known vendors data group. In the captured SNMP traffic, I found the
following vendor data collection groups: bluecat, ericsson, zertico, zeus,
Dell, net-snmp(making sense).

My question is: all those vendors(bluecat, ericsson, zertico, zeus,
Dell) data groups are necessary? can someone give some hints?

Thanks

Tim Liu

David Hustace
2017-06-01 14:39:48 UTC
Post by tliu
After capturing all the SNMP traffic on the device, I found there are
many OIDs (almost 390 ) requested by openNMS.
What is the system object ID of that device?

psql -U opennms -c "SELECT nodesysoid FROM node WHERE nodeid = <nodeid here>;"

David Hustace
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.
tliu
2017-06-01 15:00:25 UTC
Hi David,

I used the default sysOID from net-snmp: .1.3.6.1.4.1.8072.3.2.255.

For the test purpose, we want to know how much traffic it will generate for
a default settings(5- minute intervals of polling and data collection) of a
node in opennms.

Thanks

Tim Liu

David Hustace
2017-06-01 16:36:44 UTC
Post by tliu
I used the default sysOID from net-snmp: .1.3.6.1.4.1.8072.3.2.255.
I'm not sure what that means. What is is important is the value what is in the DB for that device. This is the value that OpenNMS will use to determine what to collect.

:David

David Hustace
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.
+1 919 533 0160 x7734
tliu
2017-06-01 17:23:27 UTC
Hi David,

Here is the screen shot of the node (node id=1084). The query result is
the same as I wrote in previous post.

Thanks

Tim liu

Ronny Trommer
2017-06-02 08:06:28 UTC
Hi Tim,

for data collection OpenNMS comes with a large default configuration to support many devices and applications from several vendors. This are the places you have to look into to strip it down to the things to just configure it to do the things you are interested in:

First of all the nodesysoid is the key for OpenNMS to figure out what should be collected. You can see it on the “Node Detail Page” in “SNMP Attributes -> sysObjectID" or as David described with the SQL query.

The datacollection-config.xml in general includes the configuration for each specific SNMP application or device and has the OIDS which needs to be collected.
The nodesysoid plays an important role, instead of try to collect just everything the “nodesysoid” is used to identify which configuration should be applied. If you look into one of the files you see a “systemDef” entry with a “sysoidMask". This will tell Collectd which OID groups need to be collected for a node matching the “sysoidmask”.

As an example the bluecat configuration [1]. You will see there is a configuration which matches sysoidmask for .1.3.6.1.4.1.8072.3.2. of yours which is “.1.3.6.1.4.1.8072.3.2.255” and therefor he tries to collect the OIDs described in line 35 [2] and line 36 [3].

I would recommend to include just entries in the datacollection-config.xml you are really interested in. Otherwise OpenNMS will try to collect a lot of things it will never can get and causes a lot of unnecessary requests and traffic.

[1] https://github.com/OpenNMS/opennms/blob/develop/opennms-base-assembly/src/main/filtered/etc/datacollection/bluecat.xml#L33 <https://github.com/OpenNMS/opennms/blob/develop/opennms-base-assembly/src/main/filtered/etc/datacollection/bluecat.xml#L33>
[2] https://github.com/OpenNMS/opennms/blob/develop/opennms-base-assembly/src/main/filtered/etc/datacollection/bluecat.xml#L3 <https://github.com/OpenNMS/opennms/blob/develop/opennms-base-assembly/src/main/filtered/etc/datacollection/bluecat.xml#L3>5
[3] https://github.com/OpenNMS/opennms/blob/develop/opennms-base-assembly/src/main/filtered/etc/datacollection/bluecat.xml#L36
Hi,
tliu
2017-06-02 11:19:46 UTC
Hi Ronny,

Your suggestion confirmed my thoughts: getting rid of those unnecessary
data groups from datacollection-config.xml. Actually only those data groups
implemented by net-snmp is necessary for me.

Thanks

Tim Liu

tliu